Sunday 12 June 2016

Sweeter Muffins

Do you have those days where you just want to bake something for the sake of it?  Well today was one of those days.

There is this muffin recipe that was passed down to my mother and my mother passed it down to me.  It is a very simple recipe with minimal supplies and ingredients.

Over the course of 5 years I have modified this recipe to my liking.  Personally I like to use a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose white flour and occasionally when I feel like being a little healthier I will add enriched flour.

This recipe is not very picky.  You can add different ingredients and you can reduce the amount of certain ingredients.

The one thing I have noticed about this recipe is, you need more milk than the recipe calls for.  It really depends on how you like your muffins.  


 Sweeter Muffins

2 eggs
1 to 1 1/3 cup milk*
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depends on your taste)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup whole wheat flour*
2 3/4 cup all purpose white flour
3/4 tsp. salt
dash of vanilla (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line two 12-cup muffin pans.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.  In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla (if adding), and one cup of milk.  Stir then pour into dry ingredients.  Stir until completely mixed.  If the batter is too thick add a Tbsp. of milk at a time until it gets to the right consistency.

Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  They should be golden brown or a toothpick should come out of a muffin clean.

Yields - 20 to 24 muffins

*NOTE - Any milk can be used for this recipe.  I have baked these muffins with almond milk and they turn out the same.

- If you don't have whole wheat flour or don't want to add it, use 3 cups of all purpose white flour instead of 2 3/4 cup.



No comments:

Post a Comment